• Home
  • News
  • Magazine
    • Current Edition
    • Previous Editions
  • Climate
  • Minerals
  • Mining
  • All About Namibia’s Extractive Sector
  • Contact
  • Menu Item
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
  • Login
The Extractor Magazine
  • Home
  • News
    • All
    • Africa
    • Biofuels
    • Climate
    • Copper
    • Exploration
    • Lithium
    • Minerals
    • Mining
    • Namibia
    • Nickel
    • Oil & Gas
    • Precious Metals
    • RIGS & VESSELS
    • Silver
    • Uranium
    Midas plans more drill rigs at Otavi copper-silver-gold project

    Midas plans more drill rigs at Otavi copper-silver-gold project

    Kaoko Metals begins preparations for maiden drilling at Chalkos and Karibib projects

    Kaoko Metals begins preparations for maiden drilling at Chalkos and Karibib projects

    Navachab welcomes 28 apprentices

    Navachab welcomes 28 apprentices

    Snow Lake Energy targets end of 2025 for Engo Valley Uranium Project’s maiden mineral resource estimate

    Engo Valley uranium project maiden resource set for mid-third quarter 2026

    Trigon’s smart exit – walks away with about US$25m net gain and a debt-free future

    New Horizon revives dewatering strategy at Kombat Copper

    Koryx Copper to raise N$26.6m from selling 16 million shares

    Koryx reports 150m at 0.45% CuEq, targets 92,000t annual copper output at Haib

    Omitiomire – Namibia’s next copper mine

    Appian Capital Advisory acquires 95% stake in Omitiomire Copper Project

    Langer Heinrich Mine hits 3 million pounds output as final ramp-up phase begins

    Langer Heinrich increases production to 1.29 million pounds in last quarter

    ReconAfrica might need more money for Kavango West drilling

    ReconAfrica targets May start for Kavango West 1X production testing

    EU backs Namibia’s push for mineral value addition and green industrialisation

    EU backs Namibia’s push for mineral value addition and green industrialisation

    Trending Tags

  • Magazine
    • Current Edition
    • Previous Editions
  • Climate
  • Minerals
  • Mining
  • All About Namibia’s Extractive Sector
  • Contact
  • Menu Item
No Result
View All Result
The Extractor Magazine
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Sperrgebiet Mining claims Namdeb recovered diamonds valued at N$32.5m while selling Elizabeth Bay Mine

by Editor
August 30, 2024
in News
0
Sperrgebiet Mining claims Namdeb recovered diamonds valued at N$32.5m while selling Elizabeth Bay Mine
540
SHARES
1.5k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Sperrgebiet Diamond Mining is back in court, accusing Namdeb Diamond Corporation of recovering diamonds from the Elizabeth Bay mine after putting it under care and maintenance.
The company claimed that Namdeb failed to undertake care and maintenance operations when it ceased operations at the Elizabeth Bay Mine in 2018.
For all this, Sperrgebiet Mining wants Namdeb to pay N$43.1 million in damages and N$32.5 million from the sale of the recovered diamonds.
The company appeared in court on August 29, seeking leave to amend some paragraphs in its particulars of claim.
High Court judge Boas Usiku dismissed the application.
Namdeb ceased operations at the Elizabeth Bay Mine in September 2018 and announced plans to sell it.
In September 2019, Namdeb said the Sperrgebiet Diamond Mining and Lewcor Group of companies had acquired the mine and its associated marine assets as a going concern.
Sperrgebiet Mining explained that in 2018, it participated in bidding to purchase Elizabeth Bay Mine.
The company further said it submitted a final, binding, and fully financed offer for the sale assets on or before 20 July 2018, premised on an assumed valuation as of 30 September 2018.
The court documents said Namdeb had materially indicated to Sperrgebiet Mining that the sale assets had been shut down and all prospecting, mining, and processing operations ceased in or around October 2018.
According to Sperrgebiet Mining, Namdeb continued to recover diamonds from the tailings between October 2018 and January 2019.
The X-ray tailings, considered high-grade materials still containing diamonds, were stockpiled within the central processing plant area under high-security surveillance.
The X-ray separation machine identifies and separates the diamonds from other materials.
Sperrgebiet Mining claimed that the Virtual Data Room reflected this production information in and around February 2019.
Sperrgebiet Mining said Namdeb recovered 13,715 carats from an estimated 2,667 tons valued at N$32.5 million.
The company also claimed that Namdeb failed to undertake care and maintenance operations when operations ceased at the Elizabeth Bay Mine.
In this regard, Sperrgebiet Mining wants Namdeb to pay N$43.1 million in damages and N$32.5 million from the sale of the recovered diamonds.
High Court Judge Boas Usiku said there was ambiguity about whether Sperrgebiet Mining relied on breach or misrepresentation for its claim.
Usiku said the ambiguity prejudices Sperrgibiet Mining in determining the case they must meet.
The judge said Sperrgebiet Mining failed to disclose the nature and grounds of the fraud-based claim, rendering the particulars of the claim insufficient to sustain a cause of action against the defendants.
The judge upheld Namdeb’s grounds of objection and dismissed the application for leave to amend.
The matter was postponed to 18 September for case planning.

Share216Tweet135
Editor

Editor

  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Private company led by John Sisay to revive Tschudi, Otjihase, Matchless and Berg Aukas mines  

Private company led by John Sisay to revive Tschudi, Otjihase, Matchless and Berg Aukas mines  

February 6, 2024
ReconAfrica to drill first well in the Damara Fold Belt after raising N$238m

ReconAfrica to drill first well in the Damara Fold Belt after raising N$238m

April 3, 2024
Gratomic targets 12,000t of vein graphite from Aukam mine this year

Gratomic targets 12,000t of vein graphite from Aukam mine this year

February 3, 2024
Askari Metals puts hopes on Kestrel Pegmatite within the Uis Lithium Project

Askari Metals puts hopes on Kestrel Pegmatite within the Uis Lithium Project

3
Namibia holds 26 million ounces of silver

Namibia holds 26 million ounces of silver

3
2024 HOPEFULS: Langer Heinrich’s return after five years

2024 HOPEFULS: Langer Heinrich’s return after five years

2
Midas plans more drill rigs at Otavi copper-silver-gold project

Midas plans more drill rigs at Otavi copper-silver-gold project

May 20, 2026
Wia Gold offloads Côte d’Ivoire permits to focus on Kokoseb

Wia raises N$1.1b (A$92m) to fast-track Kokoseb Gold Project toward production

May 20, 2026
Kaoko Metals begins preparations for maiden drilling at Chalkos and Karibib projects

Kaoko Metals begins preparations for maiden drilling at Chalkos and Karibib projects

May 19, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Magazine
  • Climate
  • Minerals
  • Mining
  • All About Namibia’s Extractive Sector
  • Contact
  • Menu Item

Copyright © 2023 The Extractor Magazine. | Powered by: Impeccable Tech & Designs

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Magazine
    • Current Edition
    • Previous Editions
  • Climate
  • Minerals
  • Mining
  • All About Namibia’s Extractive Sector
  • Contact
  • Menu Item

Copyright © 2023 The Extractor Magazine. | Powered by: Impeccable Tech & Designs

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In