• Home
  • News
  • Magazine
    • Current Edition
    • Previous Editions
  • Climate
  • Minerals
  • Mining
  • All About Namibia’s Extractive Sector
  • Contact
  • Menu Item
Sunday, August 23, 2026
  • Login
The Extractor Magazine
  • Home
  • News
    • All
    • Africa
    • Biofuels
    • Climate
    • Copper
    • Exploration
    • Lithium
    • Minerals
    • Mining
    • Namibia
    • Nickel
    • Oil & Gas
    • Precious Metals
    • RIGS & VESSELS
    • Silver
    • Uranium
    Amutse says Namibia must be ready onshore before first oil flows offshore

    Amutse says Namibia must be ready onshore before first oil flows offshore

    Namibia demands reciprocal commitment as oil industry moves towards production – Witbooi

    Namibia demands reciprocal commitment as oil industry moves towards production – Witbooi

    First oil cannot be Namibia’s destination – Shilunga

    First oil cannot be Namibia’s destination – Shilunga

    VSA Capital CEO Andrew Monk tours Namibia’s mining projects

    VSA Capital CEO Andrew Monk tours Namibia’s mining projects

    Equinor takes 17.4% stake in Chevron’s PEL 90

    Equinor takes 17.4% stake in Chevron’s PEL 90

    Skeleton Coast Uranium closes N$95m funding, completes Namibia licence deal

    Skeleton Coast identifies first uranium targets across three Erongo licences

    Bannerman targets over 80% Namibian workforce at Etango

    Bannerman targets over 80% Namibian workforce at Etango

    ReconAfrica moves Kavango West discovery towards appraisal well

    ReconAfrica moves Kavango West discovery towards appraisal well

    Midas kicks off major drill campaign at Otavi Copper Project

    Midas hits 41m at 1.13% copper as Spaatzu extends to 1.2km

    Quantum Leap Energy plans nuclear fuel processing pilot plant at Walvis Bay

    Quantum Leap Energy plans nuclear fuel processing pilot plant at Walvis Bay

    Trending Tags

  • Magazine
    • Current Edition
    • Previous Editions
  • Climate
  • Minerals
  • Mining
  • All About Namibia’s Extractive Sector
  • Contact
  • Menu Item
No Result
View All Result
The Extractor Magazine
No Result
View All Result
Home Magazine

Midas clears key hurdle in Otavi copper project acquisition

by Editor
August 29, 2025
in Magazine
0
Midas clears key hurdle in Otavi copper project acquisition
520
SHARES
1.5k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Namibian authorities have transferred 10 exploration licences covering the Otavi Project to Midas Minerals’ local subsidiary, Otjitombo Mining, paving the way for the Australian company’s acquisition of this high-grade copper asset.

This transfer clears the principal approval needed to proceed with drilling in the renowned Otavi copper belt in Q4 2025. The only remaining step is the Namibian Competition Commission’s review, which Managing Director Mark Calderwood expects to be a procedural matter. “Once clearance is granted, Otjitombo shares can be transferred to Midas to finalise the acquisition,” Calderwood stated. “With the license transfer complete, we can press on swiftly to close the acquisition and begin drilling later this year. In the meantime, drilling on the South Otavi Project is scheduled to start in September.”

To complete the acquisition, Midas must raise a minimum of A$3.5 million (approximately N$43.8 million) before costs, with fundraising timing and structure still undecided.

The Otavi Project was previously owned and operated by Nexa Resources in partnership with the Japan Organisation for Metals, Energy and Security (JOGMEC), as part of a joint venture. Midas is acquiring the project through its subsidiary Otjitombo Mining. Under the agreement, Nexa will receive an upfront payment of US$3 million, with up to an additional US$7 million payable upon achieving development milestones and will retain royalty interests in any future production.

This acquisition marks Midas’s first significant investment in Namibia, reflecting its strategy of entering high-potential copper provinces through the purchase of advanced-stage licences.

The Otavi Project spans approximately 1,776 km² in the Otavi Mountainland copper belt and boasts historic discoveries, including drill intercepts such as 17.2 metres at 7.24 per cent copper with 144.4 grams per tonne silver, and 6 metres at 16.65 per cent copper with 370.3 grams per tonne silver. The area, largely underexplored with modern techniques, offers considerable discovery upside.

Midas also maintains the option to acquire up to 80 per cent of the South Otavi Project, which covers an area of 195 km². Previous exploration has identified copper and gold anomalies, and drilling is scheduled to begin in September 2025 as a precursor to the larger Otavi campaign.

Although neither Otavi licence currently hosts a formal JORC-compliant resource, the mix of high-grade historical intercepts, geographical scale, and proximity to Tsumeb’s rich mining legacy supports a compelling case for resource potential. Midas plans to focus initial work on confirming the historical data, testing priority anomalies, and advancing toward establishing maiden resource estimates.

Copper remains one of the most critical metals for the global energy transition. Situated in a politically stable, mining-friendly regime, the Otavi assets offer Midas both high-grade potential and strategic exposure in a globally sought-after belt.

Midas aims to close the acquisition, complete its capital raise, and launch drilling in Q4 2025. A farm-out process is planned for 2026 to attract major partners, followed by anticipated drilling in late 2026 or 2027. Investigation of additional acreage in Namibia’s Orange, Walvis, and Luderitz basins is also underway.

“This is the most exciting phase yet,” said Calderwood. “We’re acquiring a project with the scale and grade to deliver, and drilling is now within sight.”

Share208Tweet130
Editor

Editor

  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Private company led by John Sisay to revive Tschudi, Otjihase, Matchless and Berg Aukas mines  

Private company led by John Sisay to revive Tschudi, Otjihase, Matchless and Berg Aukas mines  

February 6, 2024
ReconAfrica to drill first well in the Damara Fold Belt after raising N$238m

ReconAfrica to drill first well in the Damara Fold Belt after raising N$238m

April 3, 2024
Gratomic targets 12,000t of vein graphite from Aukam mine this year

Gratomic targets 12,000t of vein graphite from Aukam mine this year

February 3, 2024
Askari Metals puts hopes on Kestrel Pegmatite within the Uis Lithium Project

Askari Metals puts hopes on Kestrel Pegmatite within the Uis Lithium Project

3
Namibia holds 26 million ounces of silver

Namibia holds 26 million ounces of silver

3
2024 HOPEFULS: Langer Heinrich’s return after five years

2024 HOPEFULS: Langer Heinrich’s return after five years

2
OPINION – Namibia’s oil & gas conference economy grows years before first drop oil

OPINION – Namibia’s oil & gas conference economy grows years before first drop oil

August 20, 2026
Amutse says Namibia must be ready onshore before first oil flows offshore

Amutse says Namibia must be ready onshore before first oil flows offshore

August 19, 2026
Namibia demands reciprocal commitment as oil industry moves towards production – Witbooi

Namibia demands reciprocal commitment as oil industry moves towards production – Witbooi

August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Magazine
  • Climate
  • Minerals
  • Mining
  • All About Namibia’s Extractive Sector
  • Contact
  • Menu Item

Copyright © 2023 The Extractor Magazine. | Powered by: Impeccable Tech & Designs

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Magazine
    • Current Edition
    • Previous Editions
  • Climate
  • Minerals
  • Mining
  • All About Namibia’s Extractive Sector
  • Contact
  • Menu Item

Copyright © 2023 The Extractor Magazine. | Powered by: Impeccable Tech & Designs

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In