• Home
  • News
  • Magazine
    • Current Edition
    • Previous Editions
  • Climate
  • Minerals
  • Mining
  • All About Namibia’s Extractive Sector
  • Contact
  • Menu Item
Monday, May 18, 2026
  • Login
The Extractor Magazine
  • Home
  • News
    • All
    • Africa
    • Biofuels
    • Climate
    • Copper
    • Exploration
    • Lithium
    • Minerals
    • Mining
    • Namibia
    • Nickel
    • Oil & Gas
    • Precious Metals
    • RIGS & VESSELS
    • Silver
    • Uranium
    Trigon’s smart exit – walks away with about US$25m net gain and a debt-free future

    New Horizon revives dewatering strategy at Kombat Copper

    Koryx Copper to raise N$26.6m from selling 16 million shares

    Koryx reports 150m at 0.45% CuEq, targets 92,000t annual copper output at Haib

    Omitiomire – Namibia’s next copper mine

    Appian Capital Advisory acquires 95% stake in Omitiomire Copper Project

    Langer Heinrich Mine hits 3 million pounds output as final ramp-up phase begins

    Langer Heinrich increases production to 1.29 million pounds in last quarter

    ReconAfrica might need more money for Kavango West drilling

    ReconAfrica targets May start for Kavango West 1X production testing

    EU backs Namibia’s push for mineral value addition and green industrialisation

    EU backs Namibia’s push for mineral value addition and green industrialisation

    EU takes N$17.6b of Namibia’s exports in 2025 with uranium, gold anchoring trade flows

    EU takes N$17.6b of Namibia’s exports in 2025 with uranium, gold anchoring trade flows

    Paladin’s Namibian momentum draws UBS endorsement

    Langer Heinrich swings to US$18m profit as uranium sales top US$209m

    Meren Energy says TotalEnergies has submitted Venus field development plan

    Meren Energy says TotalEnergies has submitted Venus field development plan

    Oregen hires Venus architect as it targets Namibia’s Orange Basin

    Oregen hires Venus architect as it targets Namibia’s Orange Basin

    Trending Tags

  • Magazine
    • Current Edition
    • Previous Editions
  • Climate
  • Minerals
  • Mining
  • All About Namibia’s Extractive Sector
  • Contact
  • Menu Item
No Result
View All Result
The Extractor Magazine
No Result
View All Result
Home News Copper

New Horizon revives dewatering strategy at Kombat Copper

by Editor
May 18, 2026
in Copper
0
Trigon’s smart exit – walks away with about US$25m net gain and a debt-free future
496
SHARES
1.4k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

New Horizon Copper is implementing a revised dewatering strategy at the Kombat Copper Mine as part of a broader recapitalisation programme that is expected to support the restart of underground mining and plant operations during 2026.

The company said the upgraded processing plant is being redesigned to achieve a nameplate capacity of 60,000 tonnes per month, double the mine’s original throughput capacity, as redevelopment efforts intensify at the historic Otjozondjupa Region copper operation.

The restart plans follow a difficult 2025, during which Kombat Mine suffered a catastrophic failure of its main dewatering pump system in mid-January, resulting in progressive underground flooding and the eventual suspension of mining operations two weeks later.

According to operational updates in the Chamber of Mines Namibia 2025 Review,  the extraction, repair and reinstallation of the damaged pump system was expected to take several months, forcing the company to halt underground activities while focusing on infrastructure recovery and recapitalisation planning.

Before the shutdown, underground mining continued using the cut-and-fill method, producing 23,000 tonnes of ore in January 2025 at an average copper grade of 1.62%.

The final concentrate sale during the period totalled 646 tonnes under an exclusive offtake agreement with global commodities trader IXM S.A., while copper market conditions remained generally stable.

By year-end, the company had already placed orders for new dewatering pumps, crushers, flotation circuits, an ore sorting plant and associated electrical and control systems as part of preparations for the planned restart.

Early redevelopment works also commenced during the year, including dismantling legacy plant infrastructure and initial earthworks linked to the expanded processing plant.

New Horizon Copper further revealed that, before the January mine stoppage, a total of 617 metres of underground diamond drilling had been completed, targeting confirmatory, infill, and resource-definition drilling to strengthen geological confidence and support future mine planning.

Beyond the immediate mining area, the company also advanced regional exploration activities through a soil sampling programme and a high-resolution drone-based magnetic and topographical aerial survey covering several farms across the Otavi Valley.

The programmes were designed to improve exploration targeting and expand understanding of the region’s broader mineral potential.

New Horizon Copper now controls and is redeveloping the Kombat Copper Mine after UK-based Horizon Corporation Ltd. acquired the majority stake from Canadian-listed Trigon Metals Inc. in late 2025.

On 23 December 2025, Horizon Corporation formally purchased the 80% shareholding previously held by Trigon Metals in Kombat Mine and its associated mineral licences following approval by the Namibia Competition Commission earlier in July.

During 2025, Horizon Corporation also provided loan funding to support the mine recapitalisation programme and restart strategy.

The company expects the first phase of operational restart to begin in the third quarter of 2026, with underground mining activities also targeted to resume later in the same quarter.

Kombat Mine produced 776 dry metric tonnes of copper concentrate during 2025.

At the end of the year, the operation employed six permanent employees, four temporary workers, 84 contractors and one expatriate employee.

Financially, the operation recorded turnover of N$23.8 million during the financial year ending 31 March 2025, while wages and salaries paid totalled N$28.6 million. Fixed investment during the period amounted to N$22.3 million, while exploration expenditure reached N$600 000.

The company recorded a loss of N$47.2 million for the year.

Royalties paid amounted to N$1.8 million, while export levies totalled N$700 000. Total procurement spending reached N$59.9 million, of which N$47.2 million (78.8%) was spent locally.

The company also spent N$2.32 million on corporate social responsibility initiatives and N$300 000 on training and skills development during the year.

Kombat Mine currently operates under mining licences ML 9, ML 16, ML 21, ML 73B and ML 73C, with the latest estimated life-of-mine extending to 2035.

The company also holds EPL 8529 and EPL 8598, while EPL 7525 remained pending at the end of 2025.

Ownership of the operation is structured as follows: Kombat Holdings Namibia with 80%, Texel Mining and Exploration with 10%, and Epangelo Mining Company with the remaining 10%.

Kombat Mine is one of Namibia’s historic copper mining operations located in the Otavi Mountainland of the Otjozondjupa Region, an area long recognised for high-grade copper, lead and silver mineralisation.

The mine originally operated for decades under various owners before closing in 2008 due to declining copper prices and operational challenges.

The operation was later revived by Canadian-listed Trigon Metals, which restarted mining activities in 2023 after years of care and maintenance.

Kombat became one of the few underground copper mines to return to production in Namibia during a period of strengthening global demand for copper driven by renewable energy, electric vehicles and power

Share198Tweet124
Editor

Editor

  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Private company led by John Sisay to revive Tschudi, Otjihase, Matchless and Berg Aukas mines  

Private company led by John Sisay to revive Tschudi, Otjihase, Matchless and Berg Aukas mines  

February 6, 2024
ReconAfrica to drill first well in the Damara Fold Belt after raising N$238m

ReconAfrica to drill first well in the Damara Fold Belt after raising N$238m

April 3, 2024
Gratomic targets 12,000t of vein graphite from Aukam mine this year

Gratomic targets 12,000t of vein graphite from Aukam mine this year

February 3, 2024
Askari Metals puts hopes on Kestrel Pegmatite within the Uis Lithium Project

Askari Metals puts hopes on Kestrel Pegmatite within the Uis Lithium Project

3
Namibia holds 26 million ounces of silver

Namibia holds 26 million ounces of silver

3
2024 HOPEFULS: Langer Heinrich’s return after five years

2024 HOPEFULS: Langer Heinrich’s return after five years

2
Trigon’s smart exit – walks away with about US$25m net gain and a debt-free future

New Horizon revives dewatering strategy at Kombat Copper

May 18, 2026
Kendrick returns 112m at 3.03% TREO at Teufelskuppe rare earth project

Kendrick returns 112m at 3.03% TREO at Teufelskuppe rare earth project

May 16, 2026
Namibia’s chrome potential

Aldoro hits 504m rare earths intercept at Kameelburg

May 15, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Magazine
  • Climate
  • Minerals
  • Mining
  • All About Namibia’s Extractive Sector
  • Contact
  • Menu Item

Copyright © 2023 The Extractor Magazine. | Powered by: Impeccable Tech & Designs

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Magazine
    • Current Edition
    • Previous Editions
  • Climate
  • Minerals
  • Mining
  • All About Namibia’s Extractive Sector
  • Contact
  • Menu Item

Copyright © 2023 The Extractor Magazine. | Powered by: Impeccable Tech & Designs

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In